Natoma Bay Logbook Navigation Bar


NOTE: These are the biographies written for the Logbook in the 1970s and 1980s.  Please submit updates using the contact form.

Captain Harold Letcher Meadow

Rear Admiral Albert K. Morehouse (Autobiography)

Captain Bromfield B. Nichol

Captain James M. Elliott

Robert B. Wall, AMSC

Commander Hamilton Lokey


Captain Meadow

Captain Harold Letcher Meadow was born in Danielsville, Georgia, on February 16, 1901 He prepared for the Naval Academy at the Columbian Preparatory School in Washington, D.C. He entered from Georgia in 1917 and graduated with the class of 1921. The first five years after his graduation he had duty on the U.S.S. OKLAHOMA, U.S.S. STEWART, and the U.S.S. MEREDITH and in the Asiatic Station on the U.S.S. BORIE and the U.S.S. NEW MEXICO. He was attached to Flagship Division Four, Atlantic Fleet.

He completed flight training at Pensacola, Florida, in February 1926, and served on the cruiser, U.S.S. CONCORD, until October 1927, when he was assigned to recruiting duty in Richmond, Virginia. He returned to Pensacola in August, 1929 and was designated Naval Aviator in March 1930. He had duty in Scouting Squadron Five attached first to the U.S.S. MARBLEHEAD, later to the U.S.S. MEMPHIS In July 1932 he was ordered to duty in the Naval Air Station, Hampton Roads, Virginia, and in June 1935, he returned to sea with duty as Aide and Flag Secretary, on Staff Commander, Aircraft Battle Force. He served as Executive Officer of Fighting Squadron 2B based on the U.S.S. RANGER from June 1936 until June 1937 when he assumed command of bombing Squadron Two, based on the carrier U.S.S. LEXINGTON.

He served at the Naval Air Station, Pensacola from June 1938 until October 1940, when he was ordered to the New York Shipbuilding Co. Camden, New Jersey, to assist with outfitting a vessel. He went aboard when she was commissioned and served consecutively as Navigator, Executive Officer and in Command.

Captain Meadow was assigned to Command the U.S.S. NATOMA BAY- CVE-62 which was commissioned October 14, 1943. He served as Commanding Officer on board the U.S.S. NATOMA BAY during campaigns in the Marshall Island, Kavieng, Emirau, Hollandia and Saipan. Captain Meadow was relieved of duty aboard the U.S.S. NATOMA BAY by Captain Albert K. Morehouse on August 7, 1944. Further duties and awards given Captain Meadows were not available to complete this biography.

back to top


Rear Admiral Morehouse

Albert Kellogg Morehouse was born in Brooklyn, New York, on April 29, 1900. He served during World War I with the New York (Federal) National Guard, May 1917 -June 1918, when he was honorably discharge to accept an appointment to the U.S. Naval, Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, from the Fifth District of his native State. Graduated and commissioned Ensign on June 2, 1922, he subsequently advanced in rank, attaining that of Rear Admiral March 1, 1950.

Following graduation from the Naval Academy in 1922, he served on board the USS MARYLAND until July 1924, interspersed with six months' instruction in torpedoes, January-June 1923, at the Naval Torpedo Station, Newport, Rhode Island. Ordered to the Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, he had flight training and on March 16, 1925 was designated Naval Aviator.

He was assigned to Aircraft Squadrons, Battle Fleet in July 1925 and in October of that year joined Observation Squadron ONE, based first on the aircraft carrier LANGLEY and later served as aviation unit of the USS WEST VIRGINIA. In July 1927 he, was transferred to Fighting Squadron ONE, based on the LANGLEY. During that period, he was awarded the Silver Life Saving Medal by the United States Treasury Department and received a Letter of Commendation from the Secretary of Navy for the attempted rescue of a pilot and the rescue of a radio operator after a plane crash in Hawaiian waters in 1928. Returning to the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, he was an Instructor there from July 1928 until May 1931.

He next served with Fighting Squadron FIVE-B, based on the aircraft carrier LEXINGTON, and in July 1932 transferred to Scouting Squadron TWO-B, based on the USS SARATOGA. The three succeedings years, June 1934-May 1937 he was in command of the Naval Reserve Aviation Base, Opa Locka (Miami), Florida.

In June 1937 he assumed command of the seaplane tender SANDPIPER and from June of 1939 until June 1940 was in command of Fighting Squadron FOUR, based on the USS RANGER. That squadron, under his command, participated in the exhibitions at the National Air Races in Cleveland, Ohio, in September 1939.

After an assignment at the Naval Air Station, San Diego, California, which extended to March 1941, he had brief duty in the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Navy Department, Washington, D.C. , prior to reporting in August as Assistant Naval Attache and Assistant Naval Attache for Air at the American Embassy, London, England. His designation was changed to Special Naval Observer on September 9, 1941, and he was detached on December 2l, shortly after the United States entered World War II, to return to the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations.

He served in the Bureau of Aeronautics, Navy Department, from February 1942 until April 20, 1943, when he was detached for sea duty. He proceeded to the Twelfth Naval District, San Francisco, California, reporting to Headquarters on May 18, and assumed command of the seaplane tender CHANDELEUR on May 21, 1943. In November of that year he was detached and assigned to the staff of Commander Aircraft, South Pacific Force, as Plans Officer.

For meritorious service in the above assignment, which extended to May 1944, he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal and cited in part as follows: During this period (November 20, 1943 to May 1, 1944) he supervised and directed the preparation of the master plans for air operations in the occupation and development of bases on the strategically located Green and Emirau Islands. On several occasions he served as Chief of Staff, performing these duties in a highly efficient manner ..."

Following temporary duty with Fleet Air, West Coast, San Diego, California, he commanded the USS NATOMA BAY CVE-62, August 7, 1944 to March 1, 1945, during which period that carrier escort engaged in the Marianas operations. He was awarded the Navy Cross for "distinguishing himself by extraordinary heroism as Commanding Officer of the USS NATOMA BAY . . . in the Battle of Samar Island between three groups of escort aircraft carriers and major units of the Japanese Fleet, consisting of battleships, cruisers and destroyers on October 25, 1944. He handled his ship at all times in a highly expert and seamanlike manner . . ."

He was also awarded a Legion of Merit with Combat "V" and is entitled to the Ribbon for, and a facsimile of the Presidential Unit Citation awarded the USS NATOMA BAY. The citation for the Legion of Merit is quoted in part as follows: "For exceptionally meritorious conduct as Commanding Officer of the USS NATOMA BAY in action against enemy Japanese forces during the landing of our troops at Leyte, Mindoro, Lingayen Gulf and Zambales, from October 12, 1944 to February 5, 1945 . . . "

On March 4, 1945, he reported as Chief of Staff and Aide to the Commander of Carrier Division FOUR. He is entitled to the Ribbon for, and a facsimile of the Presidential Unit Citation awarded the USS SANGAMON. In October 1945 he became Commanding Officer of the Naval Air Station, Miami, Florida, and in January 1947 reported as Chief of staff and Aide to the Chief of Naval Air Advanced Training, Naval Air Station, Jacksonville, Florida. He assumed command of the USS MIDWAY in August 1947 and while under his command that aircraft carrier operated in the Atlantic and later in the Pacific. 

In April 1948 he reported as Chief of Staff to the Commander Air Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet, and continued to serve in that assignment until May 1950, when he became Chief of Staff and Aide to the Commander Naval Forces, Far East. "For exceptionally meritorious service . . . (in the latter capacity) from June 25, 1950 to January 1, 1951 . . ." he was awarded a Gold Star in lieu of the Second Legion of Merit with Combat "V". The citation further states in part:

"Discharging his many responsibilities with great diligence and ability, Rear Admiral Morehouse directed coordination of the naval effort from the commencement of hostilities in Korea. laboring tirelessly to effect liason between all organizations involved during a crucial period when his efforts were vital to organizing the tremendously expanded Naval Force in the Far East. As personal representative of his Commander, he made frequent visits to combatant elements in Korea and adjacent waters to give first hand knowledge of their circumstances and requirements. His unusual professional ability and application to his demanding duties were responsible for the smooth functioning of the staff of Commander Naval Forces, Far East, while his judgement and initiative materially contributed to the success of the Korean effort ..."

He became Chief of Naval Air Advanced Training, with headquarters at the Naval Air Station, Corpus Christi, Texas, in July 1951 and in May 1953 reported as Commander Carrier Division FOUR Designated in July 1954, Commander Fleet Air, Alameda (California), he continued to serve in that capacity until September of that year, when he transferred to command of Naval Forces, Continental Air Defense Command.

Rear Admiral Morehouse died of a heart attack on December 18, 1955, at Colorado Springs, Colorado. He was buried on December 21, that year, in Arlington (Virginia) National Cemetery.

In addition to the Navy Cross, the Legion of Merit with Gold Star and Combat "V", the Bronze Star Medal, the Presidential Unit Citation Ribbon with two stars, and the Silver Life Saving Medal, Rear Admiral Morehouse had the Victory Medal (World War I); the American Defense Service Medal, Base Clasp; the American Campaign Medal; the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal with four engagement stars, the World War II Victory Medal; the National Defense Service Medal; the Korean Service Medal; the United Nations Service Medal; and the Philippine Liberation Ribbon with two stars.

back to top


Captain Nichol

Bromfield Bradford Nichol was born in New Orleans, Louisiana, on January 18, 1904, son of Robert Wharton and Mamie Lee (Ridley) Nichol. He was reared near Nashville, Tennessee, and attended grade school and Montgomery-Bell Academy in Nashville. He entered the U. S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, in 1920, and was graduated and commissioned Ensign on June 5, 1924.

Through subsequent promotions, he attained the rank of Captain June 1, 1943.

Following graduation from the Naval Academy in June 1924, he was assigned to the U.S.S. MISSISSIPPI, and before his detachment in January 1926 had duty as Gunnery Officer of that battleship. He was a student aviator at the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Florida, during the next year, being designated Naval Aviator in December 1926. He served with Scouting Squadron l and Torpedo Squadron9 of Aircraft Squadrons, Scouting Fleet, attached to the U.S.S. WRIGHT from January 1927 to June 1929, and for two years thereafter was assigned to the Naval Air Station, Norfolk, Virginia, as a flight instructor.

In June 1931 he joined Scouting Squadron 10 attached to the U.S.S. LOUISVILLE and, detached three years later, returned to the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, to served until April 1937 as Chief Flight Instructor and Squadron Executive Officer. From May of that year until January 1938 he was aboard the carrier U.S.S. ENTERPRISE as Flight Operations Officer of Bombing Squadron 6. He was Flag Secretary on the Staff of Commander Carrier Division ONE and Carrier Division TWO, and later Commander Aircraft Battle Force, still attached to the carrier U.S.S. ENTERPRISE, flagship from January 1938 to January 1942.

During the first ten months of the United States' participation in World War II, he served as Tactical Officer and Assistant for operations in various carrier task forces, under Admirals Halsey, Spruance, and Kinkaid. He was awarded the Silver Star Medal and a Gold Star in lieu of the second like award, with citations which follow, in part:

Silver Star Medal: "For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity while serving on the staff of the Task Force Commander, during a series of highly successful offensive missions including the attacks on the Marshall and Gilbert Islands, the raids on Wake and Marcus Islands, the Battle of Midway and similar operations in the central Pacific, covering a period from December 6, 1941 to July 14, 1942."

Gold Star in lieu of second Silver Star Medal: "For gallant and intrepid conduct in action while serving on the staff of the Task Force Commander during the Battle of Stewart Island, August 24, 1942, and Santa Cruz Is1and, October 26, 1942, Constantly in danger from enemy surface and submarine forces...(his) cool determination and courage under fire were important factors contributing to the successful culmination of these battles . . . ."

He also has the Ribbon for, and a facsimile of, the Presidential Unit Citation awarded the U.S.S. ENTERPRISE. "For consistently outstanding performance and distinguished achievement during repeated action against enemy Japanese forces in the Pacific War area, area, December 7, 1941, to November 15, 1942....Her aggressive spirit and superb combat efficiency are fitting tribute to the officers and men who so gallantly established her as a solid bulwark in defense of the American Nation."

Remaining in the Pacific combat area, he served from October 1942 to October 1943 as Assistant Operations Officer on the staff of Commander South Pacific Forces. He then returned to the United States for duty as Commanding Officer of the Naval Air Station, Seattle, Washington, until January 1945. There he directed the station's important role of serving fleet squadrons based in the Northwest and in the Aleutians.

From February of that year, throughout the remaining war period, and until April 1946, he commanded the U.S.S. NATOMA BAY (CVE 62). For "exceptionally meritorious conduct (in that command) during operations against enemy Japanese forces at Iwo Jima and Okinawa from March 1 to June 24, 1945 . . ." he was awarded the Legion of Merit with Combat "V".

The Citation continues; "During this period of intensified and hazardous amphibious operations, Captain Nichol ably fought his ship and directed the aircraft based on his vessel in inflicting extensive damage on the enemy...(and) aided materially in providing effective support to our amphibious forces and our troops ashore, thereby contributing materially to the successful completion of these campaigns..."

In April 1946 he joined the staff of Commander Carrier Division 14, and served as Chief of Staff and Aide until ordered in February 1947 to duty in the office of the Chief of Naval Operations (Aviation, Plans Division-Programs Coordination). A year later he transferred to the Bureau of Aeronautics, and was designated Navy Member of the Aeronautical Board. While so assigned he served additionally as a member of the Munitions Board and Advisory Committee.

From August 1949 to June 1950 he attended the National War College, Washington, D.C., and in July 1950 he assumed command of the U.S.S. WRIGHT (CVL-49). He was detached a year later to command the Naval Air Station, Moffett Field, California.

In addition to the Silver Star Medal with Gold Star in lieu of the second award, the Legion of Merit with Combat "V" and the Ribbon for the Presidential Unit Citation to the U.S.S. ENTERPRISE, Captain Nichol has the American Defense Service Medal: the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with engagement stars; the American Campaign Medal; the the World War II Victory Medal; and the Philippine Defense and Liberation Ribbons.

Married to the former Catherine Howard of Annapolis, Maryland, he has a son, Bromfield Bradford Nichol Jr. Their usual address is 1910 Ridley Avenue, Nashville, Tennessee.

Captain Nichol was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution (Tennessee Society, Andrew Jackson Chapter), and the Arm and Navy Country Club, Washington, D.C.

back to top


Captain Elliott

Captain James M. Elliott, U.S. Navy was appointed to the Naval Academy in 1929 from the state of Michigan where he was born and attended school through high school at Battle Creek, Michigan and through two years of college at Michigan State University.  He graduated from the Naval Academy in 1933 and was assigned to the USS ARIZONA for his first duty.

He left the USB ARIZONA 2-1/2 years later to go through flight training at the Naval Air Station, Pensacola. Completing flight training in 1937, he was assigned to Bombing Squadron Four then operating from the old USS RANGER, the first ship in the United States Navy designed from the keel up as an aircraft carrier. After a one year tour of duty aboard the RANGER he served for four years aboard the battleships MISSISSIPPI and NEW MEXICO as the senior aviator of these ships. In June of 1941 he reported to the Aircraft Armament Unit in Norfolk Va. as a test pilot and project engineer. This unit soon moved to the newly established Naval Air Station, Patuxent River, where it became the armament test section of that Station. For two years Captain Elliott was responsible for conducting armament tests on the navy's first line fighters.

His service during World War II included a tour of duty as Air Officer of the USS CHENANGO, an escort carrier, followed by a tour of duty as Executive Officer of the USS NATOMA BAY, another escort carrier. He assumed command of the USS NATOMA BAY at Norfolk, Va. for decommissioning. Even in this duty the NATOMA BAY performed well. She was the first ship in the 16th Fleet to go out of commission with no discrepancies. These were small carriers originally designed to escort convoys across the Atlantic, but later were used extensively to give close air support for amphibious operations in the Pacific. For his services in World Way II, Captain Elliott was awarded the letter of commendation with pendant, a Presidential Unit Citation, and a Navy Unit Citation.

Following World War II, Captain Elliott served as Commanding Officer of the Naval Air Facility and Assistant Experimental Officer at the Naval Ordnance Test Station, Inyokern, following a short tour of duty as Executive Officer of the Naval Air Station Mojave. Leaving Inyokern in 1949, he served as Commanding Officer of Air Transport Squadron 2l based at Barbers Point, Hawaii and Subsequently as Chief Staff Officer of the Fleet Logistic Air Wing, Pacific, stationed in Alameda, California.

From 1951 to 1954 he served as head of the Aviation Ordinance Branch, Research Division of the Bureau of Ordnance.

Leaving BUORD he served as Commanding Officer of the Naval Station, Adak, Alaska for one year, followed by one year as Commanding Officer of the Naval Air Station, Olathe, Kansas.

Returning to sea Captain Elliott commanded the USS WINDHAM BAY, a transport utility carrier, which is a former combatant aircraft carrier used in the transportation of aircraft in a nonflying status. During this tour he made eight roundtrips from the United states to Japan.

Returning ashore he served for three years as Inspector General of the Sixth Naval District with headquarters in Charleston, South Carolina and during his last year of duty there served also as Deputy Chief of Staff for the Naval base at Charleston.

Leaving Charleston Captain Elliott assumed command of the Naval Ammunition Depot Bangor, at Bremerton, Washington. He retired from the Navy on June 30th, 1963 having completed 30 years of naval service.

Following his retirement, Captain Elliott was employed for 10 years by Lockheed Missiles and Space Co. as a Reliability Engineering Specialist. He retired from Lockheed in 1973 and now presently resides in Coronado, California.

back to top


Robert B. Wall

Chief Robert B. Wall was born in New York City on 14 July 1908. He lived in Arlington, VA. since the age of two. Graduated from Washington-Lee High School and attended the University of Maryland. Spent 8 years in the Naval Reserve before being activated. Assigned to CASU 5, then aboard the Natoma Bay on the 8 December 1943, served until 31 August 1945. Subsequent duties: Hedron 14, and at the following Naval Air Stations: San Diego, Anacostia, Lincoln, Lakehurst, and New York where he retired from the Naval Service after 20 years active duty.

Awards: Presidential Unit Citation, American Theater Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Medal with 8 stars, Naval Reserve Medal, Good Conduct Medal, Philippine Liberation Ribbon (Later upgraded to Philippine Liberation Medal).

Charter Member Natoma Bay Association: Attended 1964 Reunion in Chicago. When the planned 1967 Reunion in Denver fell through, an impromptu reunion was held in Dayton, Ohio, with the help of several shipmates. At that time there were several lists of names available which were made into a composite list.

A memorandum was sent to all available addresses as the forerunner of the present newsletter "Scuttlebutt" (which had previously been published by several members of Squadron VC 81) The Denver Reunion was rescheduled for 1968 and the biennial reunions have been events to look forward to ever since.

After seven more National Reunions and a few district meetings the Association has grown to about 275 active members (a few of that number have been super active) and about 150 inactive members. In recent years the association has been very fortunate in having a few super active members to head up the Association and at present is enjoying great reunions, an interesting and very informative newsletter, and a regular flow of addition inserts for our Logbook.

The idea for the Logbook was nourished for several years and with the encouragement from the membership it became a reality. It has been very successful and has been well received by the membership. This phase of our work is now in the capable hands of our Historian.

back to top


Hamilton Lokey

Commander Hamilton Lokey was born in Atlanta, Georgia, on August 30, 1910. Educated in the public schools, he graduated from the University of Georgia with a BA degree, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, in 1931. He graduated from the University of Georgia Law School in 1933 and practiced law in Atlanta until the outbreak of World War II.

On March 18, 1942, Lokey was commissioned Lt. (jg) in the United States Naval Reserve. His first duty station was the Naval Aviation Cadet Selection Board in Atlanta. In the winter and spring of 1943 he attended Air Combat Intelligence School at Quonset Point, R.I., and was then assigned to the CVE Pre-Commissioning Detail in Tacoma, Washington. He became a Plank-Owner upon the commissioning of the U.S.S. Natoma Bay, CVE62 on October 14, 1943. Lokey served aboard the Natoma Bay as ACI Officer until February 7, 1945. While serving on the Natoma Bay, Lokey was (1) promoted to Lieutenant Commander, USNR, (2) served as Ship's Service officer from the 16 November 1943 until relieved on 19 September 1944 by Lieut. George A. Burwell, (3) participated in various invasion operations, and the Battle for Leyte Gulf, (4) was awarded seven battle stars for his Pacific Theatre Ribbon and the Presidential Unit Citation, and (5) married Muriel Ann Mattson of Tacoma, Washington, on July 19, 1944, while the ship was undergoing repairs at San Diego, California.

After leaving the Natoma Bay, Lokey was assigned to the Naval Aviation Training Command as ACI officer at NAS Melbourne, Florida. After V-J Day and until his release from active duty on November 14,1945, he was Executive Officer at NAS Melbourne, Lokey returned to the practice of law in Atlanta in November of 1945 and continued in civilian life until recalled to active duty in June, 1950, because of the Korean Emergency. He served for 14 months in the Pentagon, in a Joint Navy Air Force Strategic Intelligence Unit, with the rank of Commander, USNR. Upon leaving active duty in 1951 Lokey again returned to the practice of law in Atlanta.

He has continued in the active practice to the present, during which time he served four years in the Georgia Legislature, served for four years as Chairman of the Georgia Board of Bar Examiners, was elected to the American College of Trial Lawyers and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers.

Mr. and Mrs. Lokey have five children; the oldest, Hamilton Lokey, Jr. served for three years as a Navy Flight Surgeon on the U.S.S. America (CVA 66), after which he returned to civilian life. Commander Lokey takes pride in the fact that he was designated as the poet-laureate of the Big NB, the ship that won the War, for such works as "The Saga of the Snafu Maru" and "Doug McArthur's Navy". He was a founder of the Natoma Bay Association and served as President from 1968 to 1972. He has rarely missed a bi-annual meeting of the Association and will, at the drop of a hat, give his version of "The Battle For Leyte Gulf" as seen from the bridge of the Natoma Bay.

In his old age Lokey has joined an adventure club for such things as climbing Mount Fuji, Kilimanjaro and Mount Ranier, trekking the Inca Trail in Peru, trekking the Himalaya in Sikkim, rafting down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon and free ballooning across Atlanta on his 70th birthday. In February of 1982 he and Mrs. Lokey will be in Tibet for the New Year Celebration there.

back to top